Monument Valley Fan Art

Hi,

This week I had a paper model built up. It is a fan art for the puzzle game Monument Valley. It is popular with its Esher-esque impossible shaped puzzles (and solutions).




Here is a screenshot of an early level in the game:


For the first step, I sketched out the impossible shape into a possible shape:


Then, out of squared paper, I built my first mock up. Glueing pieces of layer on layer, with lots of patches, until reaching a proper shape:


Studying on the mockup, I mapped out the layout for the proper pieces:


And then I remade the pieces with a nice watercolor paper:


Added the waterfall with colored paper, three shades of blue, cut in shapes:


Then I painted it with watered down acrylic paint. I digressed from the original game colors, due to lack of paints:


And for the last step, I painted a lake and cut lilies from green paper for the background: